The size of the global Blockchain technology market is set to reach $1.4 trillion by 2030 while growing at 87% annually from 2023 to 2030.
Within this market, Solidity has emerged as a top programming language that is specifically designed to create smart contracts.
This article provides insights and strategies to hire Solidity Developers and explores how such talents can be hired from Poland and Ukraine.
What Is Solidity?
Solidity is an open-source programming language that has been designed for developing smart contracts on the Ethereum Blockchain. It enables Developers to define the rules and logic when creating decentralized applications (DApps).
What Does a Solidity Developer Do? Roles & Responsibilities
Solidity Developers play a major role in shaping the success of a Blockchain project. Some of the key responsibilities of Solidity Developers include:
- Writing clean code for creating decentralized applications
- Writing tamper-proof smart contracts
- Integrating Ethereum-based modules
- Testing the security of the Ethereum-based smart contracts
- Writing code libraries and running automated tests
- Seamlessly integrating smart contracts with Blockchain networks
- Optimizing the smart contracts to minimize gas usage and increase efficiency
- Working with cross-functional teams to ensure project success
What Can You Do with Solidity?
Before looking at Solidity Developers for hire, it is important to know what you can build with Solidity. Some key use cases of Solidity include:
- Voting: It is possible to create voting systems that are automatic, transparent, and immutable with Solidity.
- Safe Remote Purchase: Remotely purchasing goods and services has multiple parties where trust needs to be established. Through the creation of a smart contract with Solidity, the amount for the good is locked until both parties agree to its completion.
- Creating and Verifying Signatures: It is possible to authorize transactions by using verified signatures which have smart contracts on Ethereum.
- Verifying Payments: Through Solidity, verification mechanisms can be created to ensure that payments are redeemed only after they have been proven as valid.
Blockchains that Use Solidity
There are many Blockchains that use Solidity for their businesses. These include Tron, Polygon, Ethereum, Counterparty, Binance Smart Chain, and Avalanche C-Chain.
For instance, the distributed ledger technology company called Hedera Hashgraph has been using Solidity to enable its users to create and execute smart contracts. Their users can create Auctions and DeFi applications with low fees using Solidity.
Key Skills to Look Out for When Hiring Solidity Developers
Skills are the most important factor before hiring a tech talent. Some important Solidity Developer skills to assess include
1. Technical Skills
Recruiters need to be aware of the following technical skills that should be carefully evaluated among the Software Developers:
- Proficiency in Solidity Programming: The most important skill to measure is proficiency in Solidity. Assess their previous experience building smart contracts using Solidity.
- Understanding of Ethereum Blockchain and EVM: As Solidity is primarily focused on smart contracts in Ethereum, understanding about this Blockchain and the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM) is vital. Ask about Mining, Gas fees, and smart contract deployment in Ethereum.
- Knowledge of Blockchain Testing and Debugging Tools: For running smart contracts correctly without any problems, ask if they can use Remix IDE, Truffle, Ganache, and OpenZeppelin.
- Familiarity with Smart Contract Standards and Regulations: There are strict regulations that need to be followed for smart contract development. Quiz them on their understanding of ERC-20, ERC-72, and ERC-1155.
2. Strong Communication and Collaboration Skills
Working within a cross-functional team environment requires active listening, empathy, and ability to receive feedback. Furthermore, candidates need to have both verbal and written communication skills.
3. Problem-solving and Critical Thinking Abilities
Finding issues and recommending feasible solutions requires the ability to analyze complex problems in a fast-paced environment. Consider designing the interview to include complex problem-solving to measure their competency.
4. Time Management and Organizational Skills
Evaluate their experience in utilizing tools like Jira to prioritize their tasks and what techniques they use to stay productive. Furthermore, ask about their previous experience in handling tight deadlines to deliver high-quality work.
5. Adaptability and Continuous Learning
To adapt to the constantly evolving smart contract landscape, candidates need to stay updated on new technologies and tools that enhance their work. Additionally, they should be flexible in working as per new changes in regulations.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Hiring Solidity Developers
Since many recruiters may not be familiar with hiring Solidity Developers, mistakes are possible. Therefore, try avoiding the following errors in the hiring process:
- Neglecting Technical Proficiency: Prioritizing expertise in Solidity is necessary as working with this programming language along with complementary tools will be their main task.
- Overlooking Blockchain Knowledge: Lack of Blockchain knowledge will make it difficult for the Developers to successfully deliver results. Ask the candidates about their understanding of key Blockchain concepts such as consensus mechanisms and smart contracts.
- Ignoring Regulatory Awareness: As the Blockchain ecosystem’s regulatory landscape is constantly evolving, it is imperative to measure their awareness about regulations so they can design compliant smart contracts.
- Neglecting Soft Skills: Failing to communicate their ideas and work together with other members may result in a candidate who is hard to work with.
- Skipping Quality Assurance Evaluation: Hiring Solidity Developers who haven’t done rigorous testing of their smart contracts may lead to applications that have high-security risks.
How to Hire a Solidity Developer: Choosing the Perfect Candidate
Creating a streamlined hiring process will help to hire a Solidity Developer more effectively. Some strategies to achieve this include
1. Define Project Requirements
Be as precise as possible with project requirements since developers want to know the specific tasks and tools necessary for the role. It will also help to ensure that more talents who match the requirements apply.
2. Ensure Requirements Are Testable
To make the screening and interview process easier, check if the requirements are testable. For example, competency in creating smart contracts may be a more testable requirement than mentioning expertise in cryptocurrency.
3.Evaluate Solidity Soft Skills
Consider adding questions and exercises that help to understand the soft skills of candidates. For example, there can be case studies that test the problem-solving and presentation skills of the talent.
4. Define Platforms for Recruitment
To get the highest number of quality applicants, choosing the right platform for recruitment is crucial. Consider Web3 job boards, recruitment firms specialized in tech talents, and community forums focused on Blockchain.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Solidity Developer?
The salary of a Solidity Developer in the US is $127,000 per year while in Canada, it is $107,000 per year.
Salaries are more affordable in Poland, averaging $55,000 per year, and in Ukraine, averaging $40,000 per year.
Best Models for Hiring Solidity Developers
It is important to choose the right model to hire Solidity Developers carefully based on the business requirements. The three best models for hiring include
In-House Solidity Developers work as full-time staff who are paid a monthly salary along with benefits.
- Control over Project’s Development: Blockchain projects are complex and may require direct oversight
- Long-term Commitment: It is always ideal for the Developer who created the initial application to continue working on it which is more likely with full-time Developers
- Higher costs: The company will need to invest in monthly salary and benefits
- Longer Time to Hire: Finding a full-time employee can take up to months
Freelancers are independent professionals who work with multiple clients based on specific deliverables.
- Lower Costs: They don’t need to be paid extra benefits and perks like full-time employees
- Immediate Availability: Freelancers can immediately get started on the project without having to serve a notice period
- Reliability Issues: Working on multiple projects with different clients can lead to lower quality results
- Longer time to integrate with team: The freelancer may be viewed as an outsider by other team members
Outsourcing involves working with a third-party recruitment firm that takes care of the hiring process.
- Accelerated Hiring Speed: Their large network of quality talents leads to faster hiring
- Market Insights: They can provide valuable insights about market trends and salary ranges
- Limited Company Knowledge: If in-depth understanding isn’t provided about the company, there may be a mismatch in talent expectations
- Coordination Issues: Making the hiring process work across the two teams may lead to communication breakdown
Hire Offshore Solidity Developers
As the trend of remote work has been growing, it has made hiring offshore talents more feasible.
There are also major benefits such as lower costs and access to specialized skills such as Solidity which may be harder to find by staying limited within a company’s geographic location.
Why Hire Solidity Developers from Poland/Ukraine?
Solidity Developers from Poland and Ukraine are among the most sought-after among Offshore teams because of the following reasons:
- Cost-Efficiency: Without compromising on quality, the Developers from these countries are more affordable than those with the same skill set in North America and Western Europe
- Solidity Expertise: Since the software industry has matured in these countries, the Developers from these countries have been working with Solidity since it first launched
- Blockchain Ecosystem: The presence of homegrown Blockchain startups has led to a thriving community of talents working in this space
- Time Zone Advantage: There is the potential for real-time collaboration on projects as there is an overlapping time zone with Europe and the U.S.
- English Proficiency: As it is common for English to be taught in their school system, the talents from Poland and Ukraine are fluent in English
Let RemoDevs Help You Hire Solidity Developers
RemoDevs can help to hire Solidity Developers swiftly by providing 3 to 5 candidates within 72 hours. We ensure that candidates are recommended who best align with your offer and company culture.
Find a moment in your calendar and come to our office for a delicious coffeeMake an apointment