By 2025, the world will store 200 Zettabytes Of Data out of which 50 percent will be stored in the cloud.
Developing Cloud capabilities requires the expertise of Cloud Architects. This article provides insights and strategies to hire Cloud Architects from Poland and Ukraine.
What Is a Cloud Architect?
A Cloud Architect is an IT professional who oversees the architecture and deployment of Cloud environments. They focus on the company’s Cloud strategy by creating the Cloud application design and Cloud adoption plan.
What Does a Cloud Architect Do? Roles & Responsibilities
Cloud Architects design the system architecture and ensure they create plans that align with the overall business goals.
Some of the Cloud Architect roles and responsibilities include:
- Developing the Cloud architecture based on the company’s needs
- Ensuring the highest standards for the security of the Cloud system
- Managing the communication with Cloud service providers
- Conducting regular examinations of existing Cloud applications
- Developing strategies for migration of applications and databases
- Managing the cultural change that comes with the new Cloud infrastructure
- Monitoring the health of the system’s architecture and optimizing performance
- Providing training and guidance on Cloud technologies to team members
Why Do You Need Cloud Architects?
With global cloud infrastructure spending set to reach $1.35 trillion by 2027, there is growing demand for Cloud Architects who can help build a winning Cloud strategy.
Whether a company is looking to migrate to the Cloud or aiming to optimize its existing Cloud Infrastructure, these professionals help to get them done effectively.
Key Skills to Look Out for When Hiring Cloud Architects
One of the important next steps for enterprises is adopting a multi-cloud infrastructure. Yet, 41% of decision-makers mention that skills shortages are hindering their progress here.
Some of the most important Cloud Architect skills include:
1. Technical Skills
Cloud Architect technical skills are a key component of their work. Some of the Cloud Architect required skills are:
- Operating System Proficiency: Look for familiarity with operating systems such as Windows, Ubuntu, and Linux. These systems help in optimizing Cloud infrastructure and creating a secure Cloud environment.
- Programming Language Knowledge: A general understanding of programming helps with automating tasks and enabling integrations. Some languages to look out for include C#, Python, .NET, and Ruby.
- System Design Expertise: Assess past projects where they have been involved with end-to-end system design along with asking for key details regarding its execution
- Networking and Data Center Mastery: Migrating to the Cloud requires understanding of networking protocols, knowledge of servers, and containers. Additionally, proficiency with file storage and file-sharing protocols is important.
- Security Know-How: Among Cloud decision-makers, 81% mention that security is a top challenge. Thus, prioritize candidates who have worked on network security, using firewalls and encryption.
- Effective Service Selection: Candidates need to understand the pros and cons of each service provider as they are responsible for selecting the right service providers
2. Attention to Detail
52% of organizations mentioned that they spent more than what they budgeted for public cloud storage. Cloud Architects with attention to detail can contribute to staying within budget better through their comprehensive research and analysis.
The ability to take initiative and lead a team is an integral part of a Cloud Architect’s role. Assess their past experience and ask for demonstrations of having taken initiative.
Communication skills are non-negotiable for this role. For example, if a business needs to hire Cloud Infrastructure Architects, they need to collaborate with stakeholders, explain complex concepts, and facilitate change management.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Hiring Cloud Architects
Having errors in the hiring process leads to choosing the wrong talents. Some common mistakes to avoid include:
- Neglecting Technical Proficiency: Though Cloud Architects focus on high-level planning for Cloud infrastructure initiatives, they need to understand technicalities too
- Ignoring Real-world Experience: Having educational qualifications but lacking real-life experience may lead to difficulties with actual execution
- Neglecting Soft Skills: The ability to communicate and collaborate with stakeholders along with adapting to changing scenarios are equally valuable to technical skills
- Focusing Solely on Certifications: Consider talents who have a balance of both certifications and actual experiences
- Overlooking Cultural Fit: Candidates who lack the same values may lead to conflicts which lower the entire team’s morale
How to Hire a Cloud Architect: Choosing the Perfect Candidate
Having a streamlined hiring process can help to maximize the chances of hiring the right Cloud Architect. Here are some important strategies to consider:
1. Defining Key Qualifications
Qualifications are one of the first things an applicant looks at before applying for jobs. Thus, clearly mention the relevant years of experience and skills required to attract the right talent.
2. Conducting Scenario-Based Interviews
The benefit of having scenario-based interviews is they give insight into how the Cloud Architect solves problems and deals with ad-hoc situations.
3. Evaluating Cloud Project Experience
Consider asking detailed questions to assess how they contributed to previous projects and what were the hardest problems they solved.
4. Assessing Certifications and Training
Aim to be precise with the kind of certifications and training you require. For instance, if the project is focused on migrating to AWS, consider relevant AWS certifications such as AWS Certified Solutions Architect.
5. Checking References and Past Performance
References are one of the best sources to gain an understanding on the actual ability as well as soft skills that may be hard to measure within couple of interviews.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Cloud Architect?
The average yearly cost to hire a Cloud Architect is $130,000 in the US and $92,000 in the UK.
The yearly costs are more affordable in Poland at $54,000 and in Ukraine at $36,000.
Best Models for Hiring Cloud Architects
Choosing the ideal hiring model for Cloud Architects depends on a company’s specific needs, with three top models being
In-house Cloud Architects work as full-time employees and are paid a monthly stipend.
- Better collaboration and communication within the team
- More direct control over complex Cloud projects
- The time to hire can go as long as months
- The wrong hire may lead to a higher financial burden
Freelancers are independent contractors who work on a project basis.
- Working on a project basis can be more cost-efficient
- Immediate access to specialized skills without waiting for a notice period
- Lack of full-time availability as they handle multiple clients
- It may take time for them to integrate into the team
Outsourcing involves a third-party firm helping hire talent.
- Their streamlined process and existing network help for faster hiring
- Businesses can eliminate the stress of the hiring process and focus on their core activities
- Coordination issues can arise between the two parties
- Lack of proper requirements understanding can lead to mismatched talent expectations
Hire Offshore Cloud Architects
The prospects of hiring Offshore Cloud Architects have been steadily growing with the rise in remote work.
This is because of benefits such as access to talents with diverse skills, affordable costs, and scaling the team on demand.
Why Hire Cloud Architects from Poland or Ukraine?
Cloud Architects from Poland and Ukraine are top choices for hiring offshore talent because:
- Skilled Workforce: Prioritization of practical skills through internships and industry collaborations has led to job-ready talents
- Cost-Effective Talent: When comparing with similar talents in North America and Western Europe, the costs are lower
- Strong Educational Background: Their focus on STEM education along with many specialized technical universities has led to qualified tech talents
- Thriving Tech Communities: The presence of international tech companies along with many homegrown tech startups has led to a community that is up to date with the latest advancements
- Fluency in English: As English is commonly taught as a second language in both these countries, the candidates are fluent in English
Let RemoDevs Help You Hire Cloud Architects
RemoDevs can help hire Cloud Architects by accelerating the recruitment process. We specialize in hiring tech talent from Poland and Ukraine who best match your offer and company culture.
Find a moment in your calendar and come to our office for a delicious coffeeMake an apointment