Smart implementation of complex systems and processes is behind the successful running of enterprises.
Designing these systems requires developing innovative solutions at which Systems Engineers excel.
This article provides insights and strategies for hiring Systems Engineers and explores the possibility of hiring these talents from Poland and Ukraine.
What Is a Systems Engineer?
Systems Engineers oversee the development of complex systems that help a business run its operations in the most effective way possible.
For instance, a Systems Engineer can help to identify existing bottlenecks and implement workflow automation leading to a streamlined process.
What Does a Systems Engineer Do? Roles & Responsibilities
Systems Engineers are involved from the initial conception of the system to its full-fledged implementation. Here are the key System Engineer roles and responsibilities:
- Evaluating the existing Standard Operating Procedure(SOP) of the company and assessing pain points
- Designing and implementing systems based on requirements
- Examining various systems and infrastructure options available to install the best ones
- Testing the results of the installed systems, software, and tools
- Ensuring that existing systems are running per the highest standards
- Finding ways to automate manual processes
- Troubleshooting unexpected issues and documenting their solutions
- Overseeing the development of any custom software requirements
- Regularly performing system updates
- Providing support to relevant team members in system deployment
Types of Systems Engineers
Depending on the industry, there are different roles for Systems Engineers. Here are some of the types of Systems Engineers.
1. Biosystems Engineer
These Engineers work in agriculture and food science to improve their processes. A key focus of their work involves creating more environmentally friendly procedures that reduce the company’s carbon footprint.
2. Logistics Systems Engineer
Logistics Systems Engineers develop and enhance the systems relating to the transportation industry. They focus on increasing the efficiency of the deliveries while reducing costs to solve problems such as rising fuel expenses.
3. Industrial Systems Engineer
They focus on creating system designs and implementing processes within Industrial companies. As a result, they need to deal with upgrades to various equipment and processes to ensure the business runs at maximum capacity.
4. Product Development Systems Engineer
These System Engineers focus on constantly improving the quality of existing products by focusing on each step of the process that goes into creating them. Hence, they can focus on introducing new practices that can lead to products built efficiently with high quality.
5. Services Systems Engineer
Services Systems Engineer specializes in developing and optimizing service-oriented systems. For instance, a bank that is trying to establish a strong online banking system would consult them for creating seamless service delivery and increasing automation.
Importance of Systems Engineering
Systems Engineering helps to shape the structure of complex systems that help increase efficiency while working with a variety of technologies. Some of the key reasons why Systems Engineering is important include:
Systems Engineers are skilled at breaking down complex projects into manageable components which helps to clear out confusion among the various teams. Furthermore, they help to create streamlined workflows leading to minimum errors.
It is estimated that 55% to 75% of all ERP projects fail to meet their objectives. Systems Engineers help to map out project risks and implement strategies that help to mitigate these risks.
Scaling the Business
By laying a strong foundation through Systems Engineering, businesses will be ready to scale without facing challenges with a spike in user traffic, adding new features, and additional services.
The right use of Systems Engineering is demonstrated to save up to 20% of the project’s budget. These savings are highly valuable, especially for large-scale projects where cost overruns can make the project unprofitable.
Use Cases and Examples of Systems Engineering
Various Systems Engineering use cases are delivering massive value in improving processes. Some of the Systems Engineering examples include:
1. Transportation Systems
Different transportation systems including airports, railways, and highways have various risks associated with them. Systems Engineering helps in solving key problems relating to safety, monitoring of trips, and reducing the burden of traffic.
2. Electrical Power Grids
An electrical power grid system has several components which are interlinked with each other and have high complexity. Systems Engineering helps to create a holistic design where all components are analyzed resulting in a stable energy supply to civilians.
3. Healthcare Systems
Systems Engineers help to ensure that no valuable time is wasted in treating patients efficiently and with the highest standards. They do this by creating practices for patient safety and developing the hospital management system.
4. Communication Systems
Communication systems we use every day such as the Internet, Smartphones, and Mobile Networks require creating systems where downtime is minimized along with maximizing the quality of each interaction.
5. Financial Systems
The interconnected banking system and the stock exchange are key components for running an economy. With the help of Systems Engineers, they can accelerate the speed of transactions and minimize the frequent problem of fraud by building safe systems.
Key Skills to Look Out for When Hiring Systems Engineers
The skills of a Systems Engineer help them in creating effective system design and functionality. Some of the important Systems Engineer skills include:
1. Technical Skills
The specific technical skills and tools a Systems Engineer needs depend on the industry they operate. Overall, some important technical skills to assess include:
- Software Development
- Data Architecture and Programming
- Cloud Computing
- Information Security
- Software and Hardware
- Risk Management
- Systems Engineering Software
They need to convey technical information to different stakeholders both internally and externally. Hence, pay attention to their ability to articulate information clearly and with confidence.
3. Analytical Skills
There are several components within a system that require the ability to spot patterns based on data and metrics. Assess analytical skills by providing conflicting system requirements to see how they can analyze it.
4. Organizational Skills
Systems Engineers need to oversee the project including setting up plans, supervising team members, and monitoring progress. Thus, consider how they can keep multiple tasks on track and prioritize the important ones.
5. Detail-Oriented Thinking
Assessing the details of a system is often where key bottlenecks are identified. For example, a Systems Engineer who designs the network infrastructure would need to consider details such as IP address assignments and firewall settings since these elements can disrupt the entire system.
6. Ability to See the “Big Picture”
A Systems Engineer needs to be able to solve specific processes within a system which is only possible when they understand how different components of the system are working. Ask them about their familiarity with Systems Thinking where a holistic approach is used for solving problems.
It is common for Systems Engineers to deal with unexpected issues. Evaluate their troubleshooting skills by providing a system malfunction case study to measure how they can quickly solve it.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Hiring Systems Engineers
Errors in the recruitment process may lead to the wrong hire resulting in a waste of resources. Thus, avoid these common mistakes:
- Neglecting Soft Skills: As this role involves regular communication with multiple stakeholders and adaptability, good soft skills are essential
- Overlooking Industry Relevance: Systems Engineering may look drastically different among various industries so it is necessary to prioritize candidates who have experience within the same field
- Ignoring Problem-Solving Abilities: Systems Engineers need to tackle complex challenges with the ability to find viable solutions to them within given timelines
- Neglecting Cultural Fit: When the candidate lacks alignment with the values of the other team members, it can lead to conflicts and lower team morale
- Rushing the Hiring Process: In a bid to secure a Systems Engineer quickly, businesses may end up making the wrong hire which leads to candidates who don’t provide the desired results
How to Hire a Systems Engineer: Choosing the Perfect Candidate
Having a structured hiring process can help to maximize the chances of selecting the perfect candidates. Here are some strategies for hiring Systems Engineers.
1. Define Clear Job Requirements
Start with defining the key objectives of the Systems Engineering project. This will lead to clarity on the job requirements such as industry experience, certifications, technical skills, and expertise with relevant tools.
2. Craft a Targeted Job Description
As candidates decide whether to apply or not based on the job description, it is important to be as precise as possible. Consider defining the relevant years of experience and the specific tasks that the chosen candidate will be performing.
3. Conduct Thorough Interviews
Once candidates with potential are selected, conduct interviews that measure the technical proficiency and industry experience of the candidate. This can include evaluating their expertise in certain tools and soft skills such as communication.
4. Assess Problem-Solving Abilities
Consider asking scenario-based questions and conducting assessments that test problem-solving skills. For instance, the candidate can be asked to complete a take-home assessment with a scenario based on the kind of problems they will work to solve if hired.
5. Consider Industry Experience
Carefully assess their past projects in the same industry. Ask about some of the key insights that they have discovered working in this field and what can be done to improve it.
6. Check for Cultural Fit
Consider arranging an opportunity to interact with the future team members the candidate will work with. This may help to best understand if the candidate fits the working style and collaboration preferences of the group.
7. Offer Competitive Compensation
To retain the candidate long term, develop a benefits package that aligns with the industry standards. Furthermore, decide on the possibility of having incentives linked with performance to maximize their performance.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Systems Engineer?
The cost of hiring Systems Engineers in the US is $111,000 per year and in Canada, it is $103,000 per year.
The average yearly salary is more affordable in Poland at $45,000 and $36,000 in Ukraine.
Best Models for Hiring Systems Engineers
Depending on the Systems Engineering requirements of the company, here are the three best models to hire these talents.
In-House Systems Engineers are full-time employees paid a monthly salary.
- More control and security over complex Systems Engineering projects
- Better collaboration and integration with the rest of the team
- The company needs to provide a pay package including salary and benefits
- Longer recruitment time that may span from weeks to months
Freelancers work independently on a project-by-project basis.
- Specific deliverables-based projects lead to lower costs
- Access to Systems Engineers with a diverse set of skills and experiences
- Their focus and commitment might decrease over time as they handle multiple clients
- Regular communication with the internal team can be challenging
Outsourcing involves businesses delegating their hiring needs to a third-party recruitment firm.
- Faster recruitment process because of their existing network of qualified talents
- Businesses can focus on higher-value tasks rather than the hectic recruitment process
- Coordination problems can arise between the two teams
- Possibility of a mismatch in the kind of talent that is recommended
Hire Offshore Systems Engineers
The increasing trend of hiring Offshore Systems Engineers is because of the affordable costs along with access to talents with diverse skills and insights.
Moreover, as Systems Engineering involves technological advancements, globally sourced talent can offer expertise in emerging technologies.
Why Hire Systems Engineers from Poland/Ukraine?
Talents from Poland and Ukraine are among the most popular choices for offshore Systems Engineers due to:
- Cost-Effective Talent Pool: Professional rates are significantly lower than those in North America and Western Europe for the same level of experience.
- Education And Training: The focus on STEM education and the availability of internships have contributed to the development of job-ready graduates.
- Time Zone Advantage: The close time zone makes real-time collaboration much easier which is essential for a Systems Engineering role
- Diverse Tech Expertise: Multinational companies across various industries include tech talent from Poland and Ukraine in senior positions
- Cultural Compatibility: These professionals share a similar adherence to Western business culture such as on-time work delivery and quality-focused work
Let RemoDevs Help You Hire Systems Engineers
RemoDevs can help to hire Systems Engineers who meet your offer and company culture. We eliminate the stress of the hiring process and help you hire vetted candidates from Poland and Ukraine.
Find a moment in your calendar and come to our office for a delicious coffeeMake an apointment