Scala is a multi-paradigm programming language that is known for expressing common programming patterns in a concise and type-safe way.
As Scala helps to meet the requirements for creating efficient software solutions through its scalable, expressive, and safe nature, Scala Developers are in high demand.
This article provides insights and strategies for hiring Scala Developers and explores the possibility of hiring such talents from Poland and Ukraine.
What Is Scala?
Scala is a programming language that combines object-oriented and functional languages. It is known for its ability to scale from small scripts to large multiplatform applications. In fact, the name Scala means scalable language.
What Does a Scala Developer Do? Roles & Responsibilities
Scala Developers help build scalable and high-performance applications using the Scala programming language. Some of the Scala Developer responsibilities include:
- Writing clean and reusable code with Scala
- Developing and maintaining Scala-based software applications
- Providing suggestions during the software architecture design
- Integrating with APIs and third-party libraries
- Identifying bugs and troubleshooting them
- Participating in code reviews to maintain high code quality
- Implementing testing and iterating based on user feedback
- Creating technical documentation for all major changes
- Collaborating among the cross-functional teams to develop a great product
What is Scala Used For?
The important set of features Scala possesses makes it ideal for various use cases. Some of the areas where Scala is used include:
- Server Side
Since Scala offers concurrency and scalability, it is great for creating High-throughput HTTP servers. Additionally, Scala uses immutable data structures that help to build safe server applications.
- Data Processing
Scala is most often used for data science and business intelligence since it helps to run massively distributed big data pipelines effectively. Additionally, it is also possible to implement the NLP or ML models through it.
- Command Line
Scala is also used for scripts through the Scala command. This is because of the Scala toolkit through which the libraries help for seamless script creation.
- Frontend Web
Why Use Scala: Advantages of Scala Over Java
Though Java is utilized by more websites than Scala, there are many advantages of Scala over Java including:
- Scala uses an exact syntax that eliminates boilerplate code helping reduce code in comparison to Java
- It utilizes both object-oriented language and a functional language that help fasten web development
- The use of an expressive typing system helps ensure secure statistical abstraction
- Developers find it easy to learn and implement
- It is highly scalable with highly concurrent systems
Key Skills to Look Out for When Hiring Scala Developers
Recruiters need to prioritize assessing the skills of Scala Developers before making a hiring decision. Some of the important Scala Developer skills to evaluate include:
1. Technical Skills
As a Scala Developer’s role revolves around creating applications, they need to be proficient in several technical skills including:
- Proficiency in Scala: The first priority needs to be assessing their level of expertise with Scala and whether they have built applications using it before
- Knowledge of other object-oriented programming languages: Evaluate if they are familiar with Java or C++ since they also leverage similar concepts to Scala
- Basic knowledge of Spark, Hadoop, and MapReduce: These technologies help create scalable data processing systems and optimize performance
- Experience working with ETL architecture: Experience with ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) architecture helps with data transformation and integration along with improving the data quality
- Experience with cloud platforms: Having a working knowledge of AWS or Microsoft Azure helps with the integration of applications with these cloud services
2. Solid Understanding of Software Development Methodologies
Assess the experience of the Developer working with various agile methodologies including Scrum. Additionally, ask them about some of the important modern software development practices.
3. Strong Communication Skills
Scala Developers need to communicate complex technical concepts to various teams who may be from a non-technical background. Consider assessing both verbal and written communication.
4. Strong Analytical Skills
Finding the root causes of issues requires having an analytical mindset that can critically think about the gaps in the system and suggest areas for improvement. This skill is also crucial for helping to optimize the code performance.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Hiring Scala Developers
Ignoring important steps in the hiring process can lead to the wrong hire. Some of the common pitfalls recruiters need to avoid to find Scala Developers for hire include:
- Neglecting Scala Proficiency: To make the most out of Scala, Developers need to have a strong foundation on its programming features, concurrency models, and the ability to leverage Scala-specific libraries
- Ignoring Technical Depth: For creating complex applications, Scala Developers need to know more than the basics including concepts such as type system, pattern matching, and the use of higher-order functions
- Neglecting Soft Skills: As the Developers need to regularly provide updates and collaborate within a cross-functional team, soft skills such as communication and adaptability also need to be assessed
- Ignoring Relevant Experience: Though qualifications are important, it is imperative to check for previous experience that is relevant to the requirements of the project
- Rushing the Hiring Process: Trying to fasten the hiring process in a hurry can lead to skipping important steps such as assessing soft skills and cultural fit
How to Hire a Scala Developer: Choosing the Perfect Candidate
Being intentional in developing a streamlined hiring process can help to make the right hire. Some strategies for hiring Scala Developers include:
1. Understand Your Project’s Needs and Compile a Detailed Job Description
Start by defining the scope of the project along with a timeline and estimated budget. Furthermore, consider being as precise as possible for the job description including qualifications, experience level, and preferred tech stack.
2. Source Qualified Applicants in the Right Places
Look into platforms that can offer the highest quality Scala Developers including recruitment platforms that are specialized in tech along with relevant job boards with a big community of Developers.
3. Conduct Rigorous Technical Tests
Design a technical interview that tests both the knowledge and skills of the Scala Developers. Consider trying out test platforms that provide coding exercises and take-home assignments for the candidate.
4. Use Reference Checks
References can be one of the best sources to get insights into the attitude of the talent and measure traits such as work ethic and cooperativeness that may be hard to measure through interviews.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Scala Developer?
The average annual salary for a Scala Developer in the U.S. is $129,000 while in Canada it is $110,000.
The costs are lower in Poland, at $50,000 per year, and Ukraine, at $36,000 per year.
Best Models for Hiring Scala Developers
Depending on the specific requirements a business has, a business can choose from the three most popular hiring models which include:
The in-house model means hiring Scala Developers full-time within the company.
- They can provide full attention to the company’s project
- Better collaboration and communication during the software development lifecycle
- Longer recruitment time which can take months
Higher costs which include monthly salary and benefits
A Freelancer is an independent contractor who works on a project-by-project basis.
- As the work is based on specific project deliverables, the costs are lower for In-House employees
- Immediate availability as they don’t need to serve notice periods
- Juggling multiple clients might lead to a lack of availability when desired
- Quality control might be harder when working with Freelancers
Outsourcing involves bringing a recruitment firm who look after the hiring process
- Faster time to hire since they already have a large network of qualified talent
- The business can focus on more strategic tasks
- The two teams might have coordination issues
- There may be a mismatch in the type of talent recommended if the requirements are generic
Hire Offshore Scala Developers
With more and more businesses conducting their operations remotely, many have been considering hiring Offshore talents.
Benefits such as lower costs while maintaining the quality of work along with access to a diverse talent pool from around the world are increasing this attraction.
Why Hire Scala Developers from Poland/Ukraine?
Poland and Ukraine are two top destinations to hire dedicated Scala Developers. Some of the reasons for this trend are:
- Strong Technical Expertise: The presence of a vibrant tech community that is up to date with the latest technologies has helped to ensure top-notch tech talent
- Cost-effective talent: For the same quality, the Developers from Poland and Ukraine are more affordable
- Educational Background: The high interest of youths in computer science along with access to high-quality universities help bring job-ready Scala Developers
- English Proficiency: There is high proficiency among the people of these countries in English which makes communication hassle-free
- Time Zone Advantage: The similar time zone with other European countries makes it easy to collaborate which is essential for software development projects
Let RemoDevs Help You Hire Scala Developers
RemoDevs can help to hire Scala Developers who align with your offer and company culture. Our database of qualified candidates from Poland and Ukraine helps us to provide quality talent with the highest efficiency.
Find a moment in your calendar and come to our office for a delicious coffeeMake an apointment